Monday, February 25, 2008

Ubuntu-my Meetups February 2008 : In my Eyes

Well I'm extremely please when i heard that the guys from #ubuntu-my have make a bold movement to hold a massive gathering meetup meeting :) at Uitm Shah Alam on 24/2/2008. I used to think such massive gathering is not possible especially on weekend due to small/big problems such as families/gf/bfs/shopping time etc...3. Neverless well done.

To come to the events cost me a lot of hassle actually . The plain old kancil owned by my MakCik is actually quite dangerous to ride on!. (Break lamps and breaks not working properly and the car spotlights are very dimmed).

Around 7-8 am i decided to kidnapped KageSenshi from his hikokimori life to attend the events. I haven't met him for months so might as well snatch him . Who knows what kind of unpredictable events waiting for us over there.

Well we arrived there around 9:30 am. First time ,i miss the signboard and go to Dewan Seri Budiman (must be due to the assumption since I hack is over there so the ftmsk should be over there). But thanks to wariola we got there just in time. Hurm bringing the a Fedora guy is a bless in many events, with our KageSenshi aids everyone can connect to the Internet.

I'm so amazed , there were more girls than guys in this geeky event. What happen to the rest of the guys? Well I'm not that worried as i prefer the opposite gender as audience (joking).


The first talk is done by Kaeru , He explained about Ubuntu@Work .It's an interesting talk how he showed us the power of Ubuntu in handling multitasking Office/Desk jobs very efficiently. Tomboy + Evolution , sycn with palm, IM and so on so on.

The second talk should be coming from Mypapit. However he's gone MIA since Saturday, the commitee aren't very sured what had happen to him. So me and Kage took our time to create our community advertisment in order to locate Papit from the evilz doodlers!!( see here and here)


So wariola asked me to replace his place instead. Yeah well earlier (2-3 days ago before the events ) i was asked to make some presentation 10 Myth on Linux . Since i wasn't this, combining with what little charm i have and some slapsticks remarks. (Sorry if anyone got offended by my jokes, I'm just trying to keep things alive).

Next is our first local Fedora Ambassador , Abang Sharulzaman , he explain bout translation project and how we should change our attitude for our own mother toungue langauge. Yeah I'm feeling a little bit ashamed , yeah since i primaly use English as my main medium of technology talks rather than my own mother tounge.


Next talk comes from Project Tango arch enemies leader ,, Abang Adli from 3xb055.
He introduce us SBDCcomputing which is interesting for if you want to create a standalone firewall/server/routers etcx3. It's quite hard to find SBC boards unless you are involves in heavy industries.

Well in the afternoon Fenris and Wariola try to make a demonstration installing Ubuntu under VMs. Somehow or some things jus don't work when they need to.. Yeah well, my advise next time, don't bother explaining bout the vm just . If we can't make a live demonstration Installation , A series of screenshots is helpful ( A picture worth a thousand words). ( A bad movie attract none). Peace

Well kudos to the commitee members who dedicated their time for this events! Nice shirts by the way.

P/S: i uploaded my slides on the web . Click here

All photos are taken using Abang Sumardi Cam. Visit his flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/sumardi/

5 comments:

Tawel Sensei said...

Any speaker who talk about Linux for web developers in that gathering?

<~!@#> said...

Well, unfortunately nope, since the first meetup is rather more like introduction to Ubuntu. Earlier in our initial plan, we did think about doing a presentation on using Linux as a platform for web developers. But our brotherhood of committee decided to leave that out first, as we are more focusing on explaining feasibility and flexibility for end-users.

Personally, I think Linux IS THE ONLY platform for web developers. Otherwsie how else can you deploy RoR,TurboGears, Django, in such an easy manner?

P/S: When you come back to Malaysia, can we invite you to give some talks on Web-Devel, i simply love the design of your blog!!

Tawel Sensei said...

I'm not a pure web dev. Besides I mostly deal with client-side frameworks, not the server-side.

I don't think I'm qualified to give some talks on web dev. I just love to hear a talk from someone who manage to develop large scale websites (either making it from scratch or from the CMS) by using 100% open source tools.

Nevertheless, when it comes to web usability and accessibility (I mean, web design that don't sucks) I am the right man for the job ;)

<~!@#> said...

Aha so you are interested in learning Zope and their comrades. (Plone,Zenoss,Nagioss).Currently there are few person i knew handling such complex CMS (100% Open Source Tool). That is Kaeru and his co- worker KageSenshi.

Both of em are like celebrities inside the local FOSS development.so it's not hard for you to find their contacts and ask them question/howto/experience. Else you can always find em or anyone else at myoss@freenode.net (The only IRC server where a/s/l is not the main thing).

--> http://foss.org.my/ <--

is built on top of zope/plone :)

S A D I Q U E said...

it looks really interesting..uhu..